frequently asked questions
- Who can join? Anyone! If you're an adult (chronologically, we have a few members who while adults by the calender year have clearly not grown up :D )
- Do I have to have a dog? Nope! If you don't have a dog we have enough to go around! (Kidding!) But if you want to join us (everyone is welcome) you just have to be dog friendly!
- Who is in charge? Who is responsible for organizing events? The Officially Unofficial leader is Pine. But any one can host/lead a hike whenever they choose. Pine does 95% of the hikes and is an experienced hiker, but suggestions for new trails are always appreciated and welcome! If you want to host a hike; feel free!
- What kind of dog can I bring? Are little dogs okay? What about puppies? Any dog can participate as long as they are physically healthy and enjoy group outings! We have several members who regularly hike with their small dogs and they all seem to love it as much as the big ones. We welcome people to bring puppies, provided they have had their first two rounds of vaccines. And we ask that every dog owner sign up for hikes that are physically suitable for their dog (really old dogs on super long hikes might not be a good combination, for example.) But as long as your puppy is up to the task, this is a great way to provide healthy, stable socialization!
- What kind of shape do I need to be in? Part of our club's goal is to promote human health as much as canine. We hike with our dogs not just for their social and physical benefit, but for our own too! So even if you're not in the best of shape, you are welcome to join us! We like to say "it doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as everyone makes it to the top!" Which means faster hikers will move ahead of those who are moving at a slower pace, but wait for them at certain points along the trail so that we regroup and make sure everyone is doing okay. So even if you're not in the best of shape we welcome you to challenge yourself to get into shape by hiking with your dog! You know what they say: if your dog's fat, its a sign you're not getting enough exercise!
- Where do you guys hike? We hike all over the Boise and surrounding areas. We are based out of Boise (hence the name) but we like to explore the vast wild regions around us by venturing into the Owyhees, up Bogus Basin, Idaho City, Eagle, Emmett etc. This coming summer we are even planning a few over night trips in the McCall and Stanley regions. We are always open to new trails so if you have one in mind you would like us to do; shoot Pine an email!